Website Lawyer services
Our Website Lawyer provides a range of legal services to startups and small to medium size enterprises engaging in technology-based transactions. These include:
- drafting Website Terms and Conditions and terms of sale for e-commerce sites;
- assisting dropshippers understand their Dropshipping Legal Requirements;
- advising on Domain Name Disputes;
- drafting Privacy Policies;
- drafting Software Development Agreements;
- advising on data breaches and Privacy Law; and
- putting together a range of other Legal Documents including Distribution Agreements and Service Agreements.
Engaging a Website Lawyer for a new website
Speak to a Website Lawyer and make sure you have your IP and business structure set up right.
The best time to engage a Website Lawyer is before you set up your business and website. We won’t charge you for a 15-minute conversation about the legal considerations your business may face. We just want to help you get started on the right path.
We can help you:
- set up the right business structure to protect your personal assets and your businesses intellectual property;
- contract with designers, developers and other service providers;
- ensure you own the intellectual property in your website; and
- estimate the costs of legal fees and the timing of those costs throughout your project.
Legal health check for existing websites
Are you complying with the Australian Consumer Law?
Our Website Lawyer can perform a legal health check on your website, looking at your right to the domain name, the terms attached to the use of the website and your privacy compliance. This is particularly important for businesses in their growth or scale up phases, where they may still be relying on some free online template (usually based on US law) which they downloaded in the early stages of their business.
Common problems found include:
- unlawful and unfair terms, some which may result in penalties;
- failure to comply with the Australian Consumer Law;
- false or misleading advertising, often prepared in an overzealous marketing push;
- unassigned intellectual property;
- insufficient terms, including absent boilerplate clauses; and
- privacy compliance issues.
Domain Name Disputes
Speak to a Website Lawyer with deep IT domain experience and relevant qualifications.
Domain names are an essential component of an enterprises branding and marketing. Disputes over domain names are increasingly common. Our Website Lawyer can prepare claims, responses to claims and advise on the likely outcome of a Domain Name Dispute. We have even had experience with reverse domain name hijacking.
Terms of sale for dropshippers can be more complex than other online business models.
Dropshipping is a simple business to set up, own and operate, however the terms of sale are usually more complex than other e-commerce businesses. This is largely because of the often loose arrangement dropshipping businesses have with offshore suppliers.
We do not recommend people try and put together the terms of sale for their dropshipping business themselves. This is the agreement most dropshippers will need to engage a Website Lawyer for. We also advise on other Dropshipping Legal Requirements.
Advice for website developers
Speak with a lawyer who used to be a developer.
If you are a developer and you are looking for a Website Lawyer for advice, who better to speak to than a lawyer who used to develop websites. We are not saying he was a good website developer, the reality is, he is too analytical and not creative enough. Nonetheless many a simple website was created, the technical skills were there and he has over a decade development experience.
That said, we assist developers with:
Privacy policies for websites
Privacy Policies need to cover more than just the collection of information via your website.
Failure to comply with Privacy Law can lead to penalties of up to $420,000, more if your business is required to and fails to comply with the EU GDPR.
- Tech Startup
- Technology Law
- Legal Documents